Thursday, November 4, 2010

First nap in big boy bed!! 8 Weeks old.

So I have had this blog for a little while now and haven't actually posted anything to it, I thought maybe I should start since Luke is now 8 weeks old today!!

So today we decided to start trying to get Luke on a sleep schedule since up till now he really doesn't nap on his own. Most of the time he is being held by someone, because he is just too sweet to put down, or sleeps in his swing or car seat while I am out running errands. This schedule has been taking a toll on mommy, I have no time to get anything done around the house! So after talking to a good friend and getting some great input I decided to give it a whirl today and try to get Luke on some sort of schedule. I am using the basics from the book "On Becoming Baby Wise", there are some good things in the book, but also a lot I do not agree with. Basically the book says that baby should eat, then have awake/play time/ then nap. And since Luke hasn't really been napping at all on his own I was SURE this would be a disaster.

So our day started out at 7:30, we woke up and I fed Luke, then he played with daddy and I for almost 2 hours and it was time to put him down for a nap. I gave Luke his paci and layed him down in his "big boy" crib before he was totally asleep, but almost. He fell asleep fast, I was so happy. Then I went down stairs to start my Insanity workout and low and behold...little man woke up, started crying, so I went up there and gave him his paci back and he fell back asleep. Well, this went on from 9:30-about 11. Luckily I was able to finish my workout because Jared was home to help. Then I fed Luke at about 11:15 and it was now "wake time" he was SOOOO tired from not sleeping that he kept falling asleep the second I gave him his paci back, so I tried to just have play time with out it. That was a nightmare. He cried literally the WHOLE time. I finally just decided that I would put him down at about 12:40 instead of 1, because it was so hard to listen to him cry so long, even with me consoling him, he wouldn't stop crying unless I gave him his pacifier back. So I eventually gave it to him at 12:40, took him upstairs to his crib and layed him down before he was completely asleep, and viola! Luke fell asleep! He did wake up after about 45 min and moaned and whined for a minute or 2, then fell right back asleep! Then around about 2:20 he woke up...so I went in and checked on him. He seemed to be pretty happy and I got a cute little smile out of him when he saw me



Then he started to cry so I picked him up and snuggled him a bit and gave him his paci back and he looked like he was going to fall back asleep! So I layed him down again...and he did just that! Now it's been about 25 minuted and he is still asleep. Well nevermind, I spoke to soon, my little munkin just woke up at about 2:50! I guess I better go het him and feed him and start the process all over! =) Wish me luck!!

Luke waking up from his FIRST nap in his big boy crib!!

7 comments:

  1. Way to go Jacqui!!
    It takes a little bit for both of you to get used to a routine and schedule, but WELL worth it.
    It can be hard and feel like you are confined to the house during this time since he sleeps soooo much, but this too shall pass.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting Jacqui! He's SO CUTE! I love the picture of him smiling up at you! You are doing awesome!! Great job!

    How did tonight go? How did he do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read the entire book of Baby Wise, I just did the basics that you are doing. We started at day 10 with Maddie with a schedule but she didn't sleep upstairs in her crib until she was 4 months (because we didn't have doors up yet and I didn't want our cat sleeping on her head, like she liked to do). She just slept in her basinet, a swing, car seat, or our arms but always at the same time. =) It was wonderful. I was so happy that it worked for us. It's a lot of work to get it going and take consistency but it's so worth it. BUT, Baby Wise isn't for everyone, so if you ever feel like you gave it your all and it's always more hard than not, than NEVER feel guilty if you have to do something else.

    I know that I am a pro-Baby Wise gal, but I'm a bigger fan of what ever works best for each individual family. =))))

    I'm so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you for trying and it sounds like it's working!!!!! YOU GO, MAMMA!!!!

    Love you!!!!

    You should have told me you were blogging, sistah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy you are so I can keep updated on you and Luke!! I MISS YOU. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last night Luke fell asleep at 8:30, but pretty much woke right back up and was pretty content just laying in his bassinet next to mommy till about 9:30 or 10. Then he woke up a few times to eat, which is normal, but it seemed like he woke up more than normal, maybe just because I am just exhausted!

    So far today is going well. He woke up early like 5:45 to eat then I tried to lay him back down, because I was NOT getting up that early. He wasn't falling asleep, so I let him lay with me in bed. We both fell asleep till about 8:30. He took a nap about 10am (I just couldn't keep him awake any longer) He slept ok, woke up a few times and I gave him his paci back and he passed right back out till about 12.

    Now he is sleeping again, went down about 1:30, 2 hours in between seems to be a little much for him right now. He can't keep his little eyes open, no matter what I do!

    So anyways...there is a little update about today!

    So far it seems to be working pretty good Crystal =) I should have started it earlier. Biggest problem so far is the pacifier. He wakes up if it falls out and he is just too small to let him just cry it out, because I tried that for 2 days...and he cried NON STOP for about 1 1/2 hours without ceasing. I just felt cruel leaving him there, it sounded like there was NO WAY he would ever calm down and fall asleep. So I usually go in there after a few minutes to give it back. A lot of times when it falls out he doesn't wake up.

    Anyways...I miss you too Crystal! LOTS and LOTS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally remember the pacifier falling out thing...

    Hang in there Jacqui, you are doing awesome!!! Mark and I spent the first several years trying to figure out what to do with Mal, we were taking turns sleeping on a concrete floor in the basement next to his bed before we decided that was insane and we all cried it out.

    I still remember sitting on the stairs outside his room for hours while he cried. So glad I had Kim there to hold my hand and literally hold me back. In the end it was so worth it.

    I never get over how crazy and wonderful parenting is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Jacqui! I love his cute little face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all your encouragement! It means so much to me. I am realizing how important reaching out to other moms is now, I have been trying to just figure this out on my own and that is just NOT working!! All it does is just make me feel lonely and frustrated, and that is not the kind of mom I want to be to Luke. Thank you so much, seriously, thank you, I welcome advise with WIDE OPEN ears!

    ReplyDelete